Which NHS service should you use?

Over the last 18 months primary care and emergency care have got increasingly busier.

This helpful guide has been prepared to make it easy for you to choose the appropriate service:

A&E or 999

Choking, chest pain, breathing problems.

Visit A&E or call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

NHS 111

Unwell? Unsure? Need Help?

Call NHS 111 if you urgently need medical advice or you’re not sure which NS service you need.

Urgent Care

Minor cuts, sprains, rashes

Get help at an urgent treatment centre if you have a minor illness or injury and can’t wait to see your GP.

General Practitioner

Feeling ill, back pains, ear aches

Make an appointment with your GP if you are feeling unwell and it is not an emergency.


Headaches, tummy troubles, coughs

Ask your local pharmacist for advice on common minor illnesses

Self Care

Colds, sore throats, hangovers

Take care of minor ailments at home with a first aid kit and a well-stocked medicine cabinet.